Sunday, February 5, 2012

Even Susie Wants to Be a Teen

It's amazing how the younger siblings grow-up faster than the older siblings. I was the youngest of 4 kids and it seemed like the youthful fun ended as soon as the 2 oldest kids hit their teens. I look back on my childhood and realize that I became a teen around the age of 10. I had two older sisters and I started wearing make-up, curling my hair, and thinking about style at the age of ten. I fought growing up but gave in because I was expected to be like my older siblings. We no longer did the kid activities, like Zoos, Circus, and playgrounds, because the other kids were too old. I lost a few years of my childhood due to being the youngest child. I don't blame my parents for this issue, it happens in most American family households.

Susie wanted to go to Claires (hair, jewelry, and make-up store) yesterday, she walked in with her mind set on make-up. She had around 6 dollars in her purse and wanted to spend it on eye shadow. At first I was against this idea, and I knew my husband wouldn't want her to have the make-up, but I gave in. She is only allowed to play with it at home and can't wear it in public. She wants to keep up with her older sister and this is what happens in the family structure. I'm going to do my best to remember that she is just a 9 year old and encourage her to not grow up too fast. She is still 3 1/2 years from officially being a teen, so we'll keep doing the kids activities and visits to the park and zoos. We'll also keep Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny around a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment