Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rosaryville 50K, July 18, 2010

We had to travel 75 miles to the race, so my day began at 4 AM. By the time we arrived at the park it was already in the 80s, and I was ready to get started. The race had a 50K, 25K, 15K and 10K events. The trails that we ran also had mountain bikes, which we were told shouldn't be an issue because the bikers wouldn't be on the trails.

The 50K started first , then in 3 minute intervals the 25K, 15K and 10K started. This was an issue because the 15K and 10K runners needed to constantly pass on single track trails. The next issue was the mountain bikers, well the word didn't get out to them that a race was in progress and they were everywhere on the trails. Out of the 31 miles that I ran, I had to stop and get off the trails for the bikers at least 40 times, and this doesn't include having to get off the trail for the 15K and 10K runners. I expect obstacles on the trails, such as fallen trees, creeks, mud, rocky areas and even at times a black bear. but not bikes.

I'll get back to the actual running part of the race. We had to run three 10 mile laps on the trails and then the last mile was to the finish line. I was lucky enough to have my wonderful husband waiting for me with ice, water, Gatorade, and food at the end of each lap. The first lap wasn't bad at all the heat and humidity wasn't high yet and the trail didn't have an extreme amount of natural obstacles. I ran the first lap a little faster than originally planned. The second lap was a little more difficult, I was half way through it, the heat was getting to me and I was having issues with my right foot and left hip. The hip issue was gone by the time I started my third lap. I had to deal with the tendinitis in my right foot throughout the third lap which was very uncomfortable. I struggled the last 4 miles of the race, but I knew that I would make it to the finish. The last four miles was more of a mental challenge of pushing myself through the heat and physical pain. It was a wonderful feeling when I crossed the finish line, I completed the goal of my first ultra!

Will I continue to run ultras? Yes, but not the Rosaryville. I prefer my obstacles to be natural, not bikers.

I have to add that the volunteers at the aid stations did a wonderful job!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy - Well I was just blogging around a little and I just had to stop by and see if you posted about your race. I cannot believe that you actually go 50 miles. Wow, I couldn't ride a bike 50 miles, not unless you put a motor on it. But you are absolutely amazing. I hope those injuries don't cause you any problems. But congratulations, yes, you are amazing.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete