Sunday, February 22, 2009

Trail Running with Emelie

We went Trail Running on Friday on the Appalachian Trail. It was a nice afternoon around 48 degrees and sunny. The 1st mile is down hill, so it was easy and fun for both of us. Emelie tripped on a rock, but she got back up and continued to run. We stopped at a small camping/shelter area just to check it out. Hopefully when the girls get a little older we can go hiking and spend the night at one of the shelters along the trail. We continued to run for another 1/2 mile before we turned around to head back. Emelie charged the rocky hills on that 1/2 mile with a lot of energy, but was looking very tired by the time we turned around. She did well until we were about 3/4 of a mile out from the car. It was uphill the last mile of the run, so we did some speed walking. She ran over 2 miles with the stop at the camping area. She was very proud of herself which she should be since she is only 8 years old.

The Trail Run inspired me a little and I'm looking at maybe doing a few Trail Runs this summer and maybe even a Ultra Trail Run. I'm trying to convince Jeff into doing the Umstead 100 in North Carolina in 2010 with me. We would only do the 50 mile run.

I plan to take Emelie weekly on a trail run if the weather is good. I'm not going to take her any farther than 4 miles until next summer. Hopefully she wants to continue to run with me because I love spending the time with her.

I'll keep blogging about all our running adventures, and maybe I'll get Susie running a mile or two soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment